Asparagus is very versatile and can be used in a wide array of meals and dishes. It is an excellent source of proteins, vitamins and dietary fiber. Also, it is very low in calories and sodium. You will find this healthy and delicious spring vegetable in many a dish. The following includes some simple yet tasty recipes using asparagus.
Asparagus with Rotini Pasta
The first dish we are going to look at is a combination of asparagus and rotini pasta.
Ingredients Required to Make Asparagus with Rotini Pasta
The following ingredients are required to make this recipe.
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 lb asparagus
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- 12 ounces pasta
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups peas (frozen)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp parsley
Instructions to Make Asparagus with Rotini Pasta
The following simple steps will yield mouthwatering pasta with asparagus.
- Boil 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 3 teaspoons of zest and 1/2 cup of cream in a pan on medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes and stir it a few times.
- Prepare a pot with boiling water. Add salt to the water. Put 12 ounces of rotini pasta in the boiling water and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Next, you can add 2 cups of frozen peas to the pasta. Also add 2 pounds of asparagus to the pasta. Let this concoction boil. Cook for a couple of minutes. After draining with a colander, put the ingredients back in the pot.
- Toss in the cream sauce prepared earlier along with 3 tablespoons of parsley and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Add some freshly ground pepper and adjust the salt content according to taste.
Serve delicious and nutritious asparagus with rotini pasta.
Asparagus with Cheese and Ham
The second recipe we are going to look at is deletable cheese and ham with asparagus.
Ingredients Required to Make Asparagus with Cheese and Ham
The following are the ingredients required to make this dish.
- celery soup (a can)
- 1/3 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/3 tsp rosemary (crushed and dried)
- 1/3 tsp marjoram
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups ham
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 2/3 cups seasoned stuffing
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- ½ cup cheese
- salt as per taste
Instructions to Make Asparagus with Cheese and Ham
- Begin this asparagus recipe by putting 1/3 teaspoon of marjoram, 1/3 teaspoon of rosemary and 1/3 cup of chopped onion in a saucepan. Also toss 1 cup of milk and a can of celery soup. Heat this mix over medium heat. Let it boil. Throw in1/2 cup of cheese and stir until the mixture turns smooth.
- Butter a casserole (1 ½ quarts). Put a third of the dry mix in it. Add 3 cups of ham on top of it. Add 1 pound of asparagus and some of the already prepared cheese sauce above the ham. Repeat this layering process.
- Reserve a third of the stuffing mix. Combine it with a tablespoon (or more) of butter. Add salt as per taste Bake this simple asparagus recipe for 30 minutes in the oven at 350° Fahrenheit.
Delicious asparagus with cheese and ham is ready to serve!
Asparagus and Shrimp
The last recipe on our list deals with asparagus and shrimp.
Ingredients Required to Make Asparagus and Shrimp
The following ingredients are required to make asparagus and shrimp:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb asparagus (cut to 1 inch lengths)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lbs shrimp
- 10 ounces cooked pasta
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- salt to taste
Instructions to Make Asparagus and Shrimp
The following steps are involved in the process of making asparagus with shrimp:
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Throw in 1 pound of asparagus and 4 cloves of chopped garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of shrimp and cook until the shrimp turns pink.
- In another bowl, add 1 cup of chicken broth to another bowl. Combine the broth with a teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Stir this concoction. Add salt to taste. Once it is cooked, add 10 ounces of cooked pasta and cook everything including the shrimp and asparagus for 5 minutes.
- Juicy asparagus with shrimp is ready to serve!
- Note: you can also add ginger to the mix. Just put it in along with the cornstarch and lemon juice.
Additional Information on Asparagus Recipes
For more information on asparagus recipes, you can also read:
There are plenty of ways to eat asparagus, but these asparagus recipes will help you make the most of its flavor. Serve these to your friends and they are sure to ask for a second round of servings.